Dating a Dutch Guy; Common Things Dutch People Do



For today’s post, I will highlight some of the things I noticed with the Dutch people. It might be very common with them but for me, I find them strange.

Here it goes.

Having their windows open


Most of the houses that we visited, their windows are wide open like they don’t really care if people can see what’s inside the house and what they do. I am not comfortable with that actually. I always want to keep my personal space private. Well, my fiance doesn't want his crib to be
Seen either, so, I don’t know. It’s just, commonly on house, they have their window open (the curtain).

They love weird tasting candies


The very first time I’ve tried their candy called drop, I spat it out. I don’t know what they made it that strong which only Dutch people can only appreciate. To test, I asked other people to try it and they were shook by the taste of it. Weird. But then when they introduced me to other drop candies (and they are relatively the same but differs in strength), I came to like it little by little. And now, I can even finish a piece without smirking.


Mayonnaise for fries.


Filipinos love mayonnaise for their fries too. It might not be as common in the US but we appreciate that so much, most especially if it is combined with ketchup (we use banana ketchup in the Philippines). In the Netherlands, they have a special mayonnaise recipe and it is so good too! They call it frite saus. What is not common for me is that they put onions on their fries. When I actually had frites in Holland with peanut sauce and onion, they were good. I came to like it. And it is nice that even though I am not in Holland anymore, I am still loving onions on fries. (Ohh, I always love eating at SNR.)

Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate for breakfast


This is the irony of breakfast in the Netherlands. It might be that in some countries, parents don’t allow their kids to have chocolate for breakfast, I don’t know. Just a thought. But in this country, they put chocolate sprinkle, or chocolate shaving on their bread for their morning meal. They also have other variations of sprinkle (in different flavors and shapes).

Paid toilet


One time we did grocery shopping, I needed to go to the loo. It was cold that time since it is winter. I cannot control it so I asked where is the toilet. To my surprise, toilet usage is not for free. And not even in the stores like grocery stores but also in some fast food chains. I was again shocked since peeing is an emergency and what if you do not have coins with you at the time? That’s beyond our control right?

Wrapping Up

I love the Netherlands, and I miss it too. The people are awesome and they're really different from the people on the other side of the world. I think that is how things really go. They're different, and so are we. There are still more of the strange things I noticed with them and I will be sharing it soon. Thank you, everyone, for reading!




Do you find Dutch people do the same as how I view?
Are you thinking of something to add?
Leave your comment in the comment box below!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment