Basisexamen Inburgering Experience (Basic Intergration Exam) For Long-Term Visa: MVV Journey 2020

I have been applying for a tourist visa since 2015 (the very first time I went out of the country while being unemployed since I quit my job a few months back prior to my flight). And so far, all of them went straight in the jar (pasok sa banga) and got approved. I have been also traveling here and there every year after that.

It just never came into mind that I will be applying for a long-term visa and will be requesting a probationary residence permit. Yes, we never really planned to stay longer in The Netherlands until all these happened. My husband cannot stay longer in The Philippines and I cannot in The Netherlands either. And since my husband's term of 5 years of stay has already ended, I think it is my turn now to change life courses and be in his country. For a background story, he first decided to stay in PH for a year, but it was extended to half a decade already.

During the recent trip I had, we've finally decided that I will be taking the exam (for those who are planning to stay longer than 3 months in NL). My flight back to PH was supposedly on June 5, but due to the pandemic, I was extended until September 3. At first, we thought of taking the exam in July or August, a few weeks after my arrival. Because I was extended, we moved our plans and the exam then fell to September.

This basic integration examination is about the Dutch language and society. One needs to pass it to be able to live in NL (there are exceptions, which I am not in any way included haha). And for preparation, my husband bought me the official self-study pack called Naar Nederland.


While I am in NL, and I cannot actually go anywhere else, there's coronavirus and all, I had ample time to study and finish the book. I always make sure to study at a strict time (8:00am-9:00am) every day except weekends.

When I got back, I just needed to wait until I finished my 14-days mandatory quarantine. By September 11, my husband paid for the 3 sets of the exam (speaking, reading, and culture/society). After 5 days (September 16), we received the confirmation that DUO (like the Dutch Department of Education) received our payment. On September 21, I sent an email to the Dutch embassy requesting my preferred date. In two days, September 23, they confirmed the date of the exam on September 30.


The above photo was sent to me for reference by a friend who had her exam a few years ago. That is how they divided the questions into parts. All in all, there are 94 items.

Few days before traveling to Manila, I went to the police station to secure a travel pass that will allow me to go beyond my city, also proving that I went through the quarantine period and got no symptoms. Traveling at this time isn't easy, plus never cheap at all! I paid Php3500 / USD75 for renting a private van, there are no available buses at that time.

After an hour ride from my place to the embassy, we arrived an hour earlier. I still had ample time to prepare myself, check the things I needed, and study a bit.

When I went upstairs, I still waited for a few minutes before finally getting into the examination room. It started with the speaking, which I find very comprehensible. After a few minutes, I then started the reading, which is a little tricky at the comprehensive reading. And lastly, the KNS/culture questions. I was given an hour and a half to finish everything but I had a lot of time left, even I went back to the questions three times.

The waiting game then started. The lady at the embassy told me it will take up to 8 weeks for the result to be released. That made me sad. But it was okay. Time will fly fast if I will keep myself busy.

Are you going to take the A1 Basisexamen Inburgering or the basic integration exam abroad too? Make sure to keep reading, fill your mind with lots of vocabulary and you're good to go. Success!

Basic Integration Exam Timeline

Sept. 11: Paid for the Inburgering Examen
Sept. 16: Payment Confirmation Received
Sept. 21: Requested for exam date
Sept. 23: Embassy & DUO confirmed exam date
Sept. 30: Exam day

No comments:

Post a Comment